Nothing says cozy like a delicious cup of hot cocoa and a warm blanket on a cold winter’s night. But keeping away from added sugar, etc. this is a great recipe to fill your cravings. Enjoy the comfort of hot chocolate without all the additives and sugar with this healthy alternative to a holiday favorite. Store-bought hot chocolate “packets” contain massive amounts of sugar and even hydrogenated oils (an unexpected, undesirable ingredient). Coconut milk is chalked full of healthy fats and antioxidants, making it a great substitute for regular dairy.
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 15 drops liquid stevia
- Optional: 1-2 drops peppermint oil, whipped cream, or cacao nibs
- Combine and stir coconut milk, boiling water, unsweetened cocoa powder and vanilla together.
- Serve with whipped cream made of organic heavy cream, and sprinkle with cacao nibs if desired.
Note: for a creamier hot chocolate, you can use 1/3 coconut milk and 1/3 boiling water.
Serve in a glass or travel mug for your ‘on the go’ activities. It is sure to boost your morning this season!