This Organic Coq Au Vin recipe may sound fancy, but we ensure you it is not as hard to make as it is to pronounce! This simplified version of the classic French dish features chicken simmered in a mixture of red wine, broth, vegetables, and fresh herbs. Serve this delectable combination with a green salad for a very elegant meal.
Organic Coq Au Vin Recipe
- 4 Organic, Free Range Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, any kind
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup red wine
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley or 1 tsp dried
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- ¾ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¾ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1/8 cup coconut flour
- Cover the bottom of a large pot or dutch oven with grapeseed or coconut oil. Sautee chicken over medium heat until browned on all sides (about 15 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms, carrots, wine, onions, parsley, garlic, marjoram, thyme, chicken broth, pepper, bay leaf, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Add more water if necessary- you want the liquid to almost cover the ingredients.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken, mushrooms, carrot, and onions to a platter discarding the bay leaf. Cover to keep warm.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of the liquid from the pot with 1/8 cup of coconut flour. Stir to mix, then cook until bubbly.
- Pour broth over chicken and vegetables to serve or merely put everything back into the pot.