Here’s a maximized dessert B.J. really liked. It is a Lemon Pound Cake made with coconut flour rather than conventional or AP flour, so it is completely guilt free for people (like me) who are doing their best to remain true to the Advanced Nutrition Plan. On Mother’s Day, we served this topped with stevia sweetened raspberry frozen yogurt.
Maximized Lemon Pound Cake Recipe
- 5 organic eggs
- Approximately ½ to 1 teaspoon liquid stevia (sweeten to your taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup organic whole milk yogurt
- 2/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) organic butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup organic coconut flour, sifted (available at bulk food stores)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with coconut oil, and flour with coconut flour. If using anything but a glass loaf pan, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. Grease the parchment with coconut oil, and flour using coconut flour.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with an electric mixer. If you have a KitchenAide stand mixer, all the better. Next add the stevia, vanilla, yogurt, lemon juice and zest. Mix until combined. Taste, and adjust sweetness by adding more stevia if you prefer. Add the melted butter in a constant stream, mixing continuously.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients. Using a spoon or spatula fold in the dry ingredients to the wet. The mixture will thicken up right before your eyes once you have added the coconut flour and other dry ingredients.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes (I was closer to 55 minutes), until a toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Let cake cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the pan. Invert on a cooling rack and let cool completely.