Switch up your carb plate of potatoes with the versatility of plantains! These plantain cups make great finger foods to impress your family and friends for brunch. The mango salsa and whipped coconut cream make this core plan a favourite for a brunch appetizer or side dish option.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 medium-ripe plantain, peeled and sliced
- 5 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white
- 1 can coconut milk, refrigerated for at least 2 hours
- vanilla-flavoured liquid stevia (I use NOW brand) or regular stevia plus 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped ripe mango
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- 5 tbsp chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the plantain slices into a food processor and pulse until rice-like. Place the “rice” in a bowl and add in the egg and coconut flakes. Toss to combine thoroughly and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut 6 inch strips of parchment paper and line each muffin tin with the strips.
- Place 1/6th of the plantain mixture into each muffin tin and spread out into the tin in a thin layer, filling the sides of the cups. Be careful to leave the “insides” of the tin open to place in the mango salad later.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the cups are baking, remove the coconut milk from the refrigerator and scoop off the top layer of “cream” (it should resemble cream and be thick.) Place the coconut cream into a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until “whipped.” Stir in stevia to taste. Once done, set aside.
- Mix the mango, avocado, cilantro and lime juice together. Set aside.
- Once the cups are baked, fill each with equal portions of the mango mixture and top with a dollop of the coconut whipped cream.
Recipe inspired by Inspiralized.