Muffins may seem like cupcakes in disguise, except they are much healthier when maximized like this Apple Flax Seed Muffins recipe. You can enjoy the flavour and texture of ground flax seed (flaxseed), a Superfood, as well as the health benefits from omega-3 essential fatty acids for heart-healthy effects, magnesium for cellular health, and soluble and insoluble fiber to improve digestion. Store them in your freezer, so you can pull out one muffin at a time for a delicious snack whenever.
Apple Flax Seed Muffins Recipe
Makes about 24 muffins
- 1 cup flax seed meal
- 2 cups almond meal (can chop raw almonds in food processor)
- 2 teaspoons aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg and/or cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon powdered Stevia and 1 cup of Xylitol
- 4-6 large organic eggs, beaten
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup full-fat organic yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla (no sugar – check the ingredients)
- 2 medium organic apple, chopped fairly finely
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- ½ cup currants (optional on core plan only)
Topping mix together
- ½ cup of xylitol
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a muffin tin with silicone baking cups or paper liners.
- In food processor pulse together: flax seed meal, raw almonds, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, stevia and xylitol.
- In small saucepan melt coconut oil.
- In separate bowl mix coconut oil, eggs, almond milk, yogurt, vanilla, apple, nuts and currants.
- Add the wet to the dry and combine thoroughly. Add additional water or almond milk if too thick.
- Let batter stand 10 minutes.
- Separate batter into the muffin pan
- Sprinkle topping on top
- Bake for approximately 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe from Maximized Living Nutrition Plans book.