Grass-fed Beef Squash Casserole
Looking for a zesty meal that’s easily put together in a single dish? This Grass-fed Beef Squash Casserole with its combination of nutrient filled grass-fed beef, vitamin C rich squash, select vegetables, and tex-mex spices will make you come back to it time and again. For a mild version, use diced green chiles instead of jalapenos. You can also use shredded cooked chicken in place of the beef. Put a few batches in the freezer to be ready with a satisfying casserole that will nourish your family and guests. Serve it with Coconut Lime Rice, Mashed NO-tatoes, or Cheesy Garlic Coconut Flour Bread as suits your taste buds.
Grass-fed Beef Squash Casserole Recipe
Makes 8 Servings
- 1 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- ¼ cup coconut oil, divided
- 3 organic medium zucchini, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 organic medium yellow squash, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 organic jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 organic green onions, chopped — white and green ends separated
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (no sugar or preservatives added)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 cups black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup raw Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh organic cilantro
- Cook the ground beef in a stainless steel or cast iron skillet over Medium heat until brown, about 10 minutes. Drain off excess grease. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish with about 2 teaspoons of coconut oil.
- Pour the remaining coconut oil into a large stainless steel or cast iron skillet over Medium-High heat. Cook and stir the zucchini, yellow squash, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and the white parts of the green onions until the vegetables begin to soften, 5-8 minutes. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Stir in the tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin. Allow the mixture to simmer until the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the browned ground beef, black beans and 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese until well combined. Adjust salt and pepper if necessary, and spread the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the top with remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbling in the center and cheese is browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining green onions (green tops) and cilantro over the top and serve.
About Kari Penner
Kari Penner, BA, MA (in process) is a Wellness Coach and works at Shine Dental. She has spent most of the past decade studying Wellness, Nutrition, Toxicity and has been a professional Life Coach since 2001. In 2011, she started her Master’s of Counseling at Providence Seminary. Learn More