Get creative with burger options for vegetarian and vegan guests at your summer BBQ or Meatless Monday dinner with these Chickpea Sweet Potato Burgers. Sweet potatoes are loaded with Vitamin A, have a luscious and rich texture with a taste that’ll mask the chickpea flavor for a winning combination. Eat the patties alone, top them with or dip them in my All-Natural BBQ Sauce recipe, or make a complete burger with my Maximized Grainless Rolls. Meat lovers will also love this recipe and it’s acceptable on my core nutrition plan.
Chickpea Sweet Potato Burgers Recipe
- 1 1/4 cups dried chickpeas
- 4 cups of water
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 small organic sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 medium organic cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small organic red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- In a bowl, soak chickpeas in water for at least 12 hours and up to 24 hours. Drain well.
- Heat oven to 375°. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, process chickpeas, tahini, black pepper, baking powder and 3/4 tsp salt. Scrap down sides as necessary, until mixture holds together when pinched, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in sweet potato.
- In a second bowl, combine cucumber, onion, dill, vinegar and remaining 1/4 tsp salt and set aside.
- Form chickpea–sweet potato mixture into 4 burgers. Place on baking sheet then cover tightly with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove foil. Coat burgers with spray then bake until crisp and golden underneath, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Flip burgers. Coat with cooking spray then bake until crisp on other side, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve with cucumber, onion or dill mix for added flavour.
Note: If you don’t have olive oil cooking spray, just poured some olive oil in a cup and spread it lightly on the burger with a pastry brush.