Plain chicken can get boring and dry after a while, so it is good to have a variety of recipes on hand to spice up your dinners. This juicy, flavour-packed Cilantro Lime Chicken recipe is sure to be added to your repertoire. The mix of garlic, cilantro, and other zesty seasonings make this the perfect main course. Try pairing it with the Coconut Lime Rice for an unbeatable combination.
Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe
makes 4-6 servings
- chunks or shredded meat from 3 or 4 chicken legs, or equivalent
- 2 tablespoons of fat for cooking (such as coconut oil)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 Anaheim or Poblano pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
- pinch of chipotle powder
- 1-2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 cloves of garlic (or more)
- 1-2 teaspoons dried oregano or Mexican seasoning mix*
- Meat stock, about 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- 1 large handful of chopped cilantro
*I use the Mexican seasoning blend from Mountain Rose Herbs, it is a pure spice blend.
- Remove the meat from the chicken legs in chunks or shredded.
- Melt the fat for cooking (I use coconut oil) in a large skillet. Add the chopped onions and saute for several minutes to let them soften. Add the chopped peppers and continue to saute several more minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and dry spices and let cook for several minutes while stirring. Pour in some meat stock and continue to saute for about 10 more minutes. Pour in more stock as the mixture becomes dry to keep it from burning. This part is not precise; it is just to allow the veggies to cook well while staying moist.
- Add the chicken and stir to incorporate into the mixture. Add the lime juice and cilantro, and cook and stir just long enough to mix thoroughly and heat everything through. Remove from heat.
- Adjust seasonings. You may want to add in more crushed garlic at this point.