Dark Rye Bread
We have used this Dark Rye Bread for anything we would have used traditional bread for in the bad old days, including sandwiches and croutons. This bread will pair well with a soup of your choice such as Kale Mushroom Soup, Broccoli & Pine-Nut Soup, Roasted Cauliflower Soup, or Lemon Asparagus Soup.
Note: Be sure to read the post “Almond Flour Revisited,” before you attempt this recipe.
Dark Rye Bread Recipe
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 1/2 cups ground flax meal
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 6 organic eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons caraway seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a loaf pan with olive oil or (better still) coconut oil. I like to add a piece of parchment for easy removal after baking.
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl except for caraway seeds.
- Mix wet ingredients in another bowl.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, then mix in caraway seeds.
- Allow batter to sit for 1 or 2 minutes to “thicken.”
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Cool and serve.
Original recipe available on GoodFood.
About Lin Hardick
Lin Hardick is a teacher, food writer and recipe developer, passionate about the health benefits, as well as the pitfalls, of the standard Western diet. "I have very definite ideas about what good food must be. Food brings people together. GOOD FOOD must look good; it must taste good; and, most importantly, it must be good for you. Enjoy." Learn More