Whole Food Date Caramels
Did you know that dates when blended with coconut oil make a healthy and delicious caramel-like filling? Not to mention dates are full of easily digestible minerals and vitamins. Make these Whole Food Date Caramels for the perfect salty-sweet dessert to make for your next party or event, and enjoy them sugar free!
Whole Food Date Caramels Recipe
Yield: Makes about 15 large or 25 small caramels
- 1 cup pitted dates. (To measure, pack them into the measuring cup before soaking them in the hot water to soften.)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (full fat or light), warmed
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon unrefined salt
- Coconut flour, for dusting
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Stevia to taste
- Soak dates in very hot water for 15 minutes. Drain before proceeding.
- Blend the dates, coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract until a smooth paste forms. Add 1/4 tsp. salt, blend, and taste. Add a bit more salt if desired. Place in the fridge or freezer until firm and pliable, at least 3 hours.
- Roll teaspoons of the date mixture into balls. Dust lightly with coconut flour so they don’t stick to each other. Place in the freezer to stay firm.
- Make the chocolate coating: melt and stir together the cocoa powder, coconut oil and stevia over very low heat until combined. Let the mixture cool until thickened enough to coat the caramel balls. Place in the fridge for a few minutes if it is too runny, but keep an eye on it because it hardens very quickly.
- One by one, roll a caramel into the chocolate and place on a baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment or waxed paper. Sprinkle very lightly with the unrefined salt, and place in the fridge until the chocolate coating is firm. Store in the fridge. If they aren’t consumed quickly (most likely), they last at least a few weeks in the fridge.
Check out the original recipe Salted date caramels by Empowered Sustenance.
About Dr. B.J. Hardick
Dr. B.J. Hardick is a Doctor of Chiropractic and internationally-recognized natural health author and speaker. His health journey began as a child — alternative medicine is the only medicine he has ever known. In 2009, he authored his first book, Maximized Living Nutrition Plans. In 2018, he authored his second book, Align Your Health. An energizing and passionate speaker, Dr. Hardick shares his lifestyle methods to numerous professional and public audiences every year in the United States and Canada. His teachings encompass the principles of ancestral nutrition, detoxification, functional fitness, mindfulness, and green living. Learn More