You are going to LOVE this Grain-Free Coconut Layer Cake! It can be made with the blueberry jam featured or you could substitute with a lemon curd. The cake layers hold up well to the jam and coconut cream and the combination of flavours mix perfectly. Your efforts will definitely be rewarded with this recipe and the coconut cream may even become a new favourite that can be used in other recipes as an icing or dip.
Nutritional bonus: the psyllium husk adds an extra kick of fibre to this decadent recipe, while the blueberries and pomegranate juice take the antioxidant levels up a major notch. This makes a wonderful dessert for any family occasion and will be sure to impress your loved ones!
Grain-Free Coconut Layer Cake
- ⅓ cup olive oil, plus more to grease the pan
- 2 ¼ cups almond flour
- ¼ cup psyllium husk
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1-2 tsp stevia (taste)
- 3 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp lemon juice (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 large whole eggs
- 1 egg white
- ¼ tsp lemon bitters
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
Blueberry Jam Ingredients
- 2 cups blueberries (frozen).
- 1 cup pomegranate juice (100% pure, unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup agar flakes (Eden brand)
- 1 tsp stevia (or to taste) I like to use the “Better Stevia” Powdered Leaf Extract brand.
- 2 ½ tbsp arrowroot starch
Coconut Cream Ingredients
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp stevia
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 1 cup coconut yogurt
- 2 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line two 8- inch cake pans with parchment paper rounds, then grease the sides of the pans with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, psyllium husk, baking soda, stevia and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg whites, coconut oil, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, one scoop at a time, stirring until a uniform batter forms.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Invert the cakes onto racks and allow to cool completely.
- While the cake cools make your jam and coconut butter cream.
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot starch, lemon juice, stevia and vanilla. Stir and allow the start to dissolve.
- In a small pot, bring the fruit juice and agar to a boil, and cook for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add starch liquid and frozen berries. Cook for 5 more minutes on high.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes until smooth.
Coconut Butter Cream:
- In a small pot combine all ingredients and cook over low heat for 8-10 minutes, while whisking every 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool before using.
Layer the Cake:
- Place the bottom layer of cake on a cake plate and smooth about a ¼ inch layer of coconut cream then top with 2 tablespoons of blueberry jam and smooth out evenly. Repeat for the other layer on a separate plate. Let both layers set and cool.
- Once cooled, add the second layer onto the top of the first layer. Garnish with blueberries and dollops of coconut butter cream.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve and enjoy!