Cure your sweet tooth and fulfill chocolate cravings with these Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes, a gluten-free and sugar-free version of a classic favourite dessert. You can also make these dairy-free by using coconut oil in the place of the butter. Remember to carefully measure out the unsweetened cocoa powder so you’ll get the rich chocolate flavour without drying them out or making them taste bitter. Enjoy them as a snack or dessert by themselves, topped with frosting, chocolate ganache or whipped cream, or served with a side of Cinnamon Ice Cream, Coffee Ice Cream, or Strawberry Gelato.
Grain-Free Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
Makes 24 cupcakes
- 2 cups pecans
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 organic eggs
- 1/2 cup melted organic butter, or coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (no sugar – check the label)
- Stevia equivalent to approximately 1 cup of sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 cup water, unsweetened almond milk (I use the chocolate flavor), or coffee
- chocolate ganache (use same recipe for chocolate truffles)
- whipped cream
- Heat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with silicone cups or paper liners.
- Process pecans in food processor ‐ pulse until they are meal, not quite as small as corn meal.
- Add the rest of the dry ingredients and pulse again.
- Add the wet ingredients and process until well‐blended.
- Separate into muffin cups (or small ramekins) and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Note: The exact time will vary with the pan. Start checking at 20 minutes. When you can smell them baking, it is a good time to start checking for doneness. When toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, the cupcakes are done.