I have been looking for a delicious grain-free pie crust recipe that looks and tastes like the real thing for a long time. You will love this crust made with almond flour and arrowroot powder that is all that and more. With vanilla, cinnamon and cocoa powder combined with coconut oil, this crust has so much flavour and holds together well. And we haven’t even gotten to the filling yet! This grain-free raspberry pomegranate pie is a real crowd pleaser all year round, with the festive flavour of pomegranates during the holiday season and the freshness of raspberries for the warmer months. Extra bonus: The lemon juice helps to neutralize the taste of stevia which lets the true flavours of all the ingredients shine.
Don’t want the crust? Simply make the berry filling and serve in a glass jar.
Grain-Free Raspberry Pomegranate Pie
*Make crust before filling
Ingredients for Grain-Free Crust
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 ½ cups almond flour
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
Ingredients for Raspberry Pomegranate Filling
- 2 cups raspberries (frozen)
- 1 cup pomegranate juice (100% pure, unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ⅓ cup agar flakes (Eden brand)
- 1 tsp stevia (or to taste) I like to use the “Better Stevia” Powdered Leaf Extract brand.
- 2 ½ tbsp arrowroot starch
Directions for Grain-Free Crust
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch pie pan with coconut oil.
- Combine all the crust ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a pastry blender or your fingertips until a uniform dough comes together. Gently shape the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and chill in the freezer for about an hour.
- Once the crust has chilled, press out the dough into the pie shell so it is about ¼ inch thick and poke with a fork 5 times. Over the edges of the crust press down with a fork.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
While the crust cooks, make the filling.
Directions for Filling
- Dissolve starch in lemon juice with stevia and vanilla.
- In a small pot, bring the fruit juice and agar to a boil, reduce to medium heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add starch liquid and frozen berries. Cook for 5 more minutes over high heat.
- Blend on high for 2 minutes until smooth and add to baked crust or into glass serving dishes.
- Top with fresh raspberries, unsweetened coconut flakes and mint or basil leaves for a festive presentation.