Apple recipes aren’t just for the fall; they are delicious all year round! this tasty Paleo Apple Cinnamon Cake is a perfect healthy substitution for a birthday cake or as a take along dessert for your next party or event. Unlike most other apple cakes, this one is packed with healthy fats and lacking any sugars. You’ll be delighted you didn’t wait to try it out.
Paleo Apple Cinnamon Cake Recipe
Makes one 12-inch skillet full
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped granny smith apples (add 1 more cup if omitting pears)
- 1 cup finely chopped pears (optional for Core Plan, omit for Advanced Plan)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup ground sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup ground pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon (to taste)
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar + enough water to equal 1/3 cup liquid
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Stevia to taste (~ 1 dropperful of liquid stevia or 1/8 tsp powder)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt 2 TBSP butter in a 10-inch cast-iron or other heavy-bottomed, oven-proof skillet. Saute the apples and pears (Core Plan only, omit for Advanced Plan) until translucent and a bit golden brown. Keep the pan on low to keep it and the fruit hot when you add the batter.
- Put the nut flour, ground seeds, baking soda, cinnamon and salt into the mixer (fitted with whisk attachment) and mix briefly to combine. Add the eggs and butter and beat briefly. Turn the mixer to high and pour in the vinegar/water mixture, stevia and the vanilla. Stop the mixer and scrape the sides and bottom. Continue to beat on high for a minute. The consistency should be like cornbread batter, maybe a little thicker, but NOT sticky or heavy. If it is thick like peanut butter, add more water.
- Pour batter immediately into pan. Fold in the apples and pears (core plan only) with a rubber spatula, then smooth the top and place into the hot oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean (moist is OK, but no batter should appear on the knife).
- Serve hot with butter.