If I remember correctly, this Roasted Shallot Salad Dressing recipe also came from my friend, Chantal, one of the best cooks I know. Shallots have a sweeter and more delicate flavour then onions, and are less pungent as garlic, and are often used in Indian, Asian, French and Mediterranean recipes for their nutritional and aromatic properties. This dressing will become a delicious alternative without all those unwanted additives in store-bought dressings. It is so nice to have a dressing that tastes “gourmet”, and is ready and waiting in the fridge.
Roasted Shallot Salad Dressing Recipe
- 1 small bag Shallots (6 to 8 count)
- 2 teaspoons Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar, plus extra for deglazing
- 2 cups Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and slice the Shallots; then sauté them in Coconut Oil until they begin to caramelize.
- Deglaze the pan with some balsamic vinegar, and remove from heat.
- Pour the shallots and vinegar into a blender, and add more balsamic vinegar – approximately one cup.
- Turn the blender on, at first to a low setting, and then increasing the speed as the shallots are incorporated.
- Once the high setting has been established, stream in approximately two cups of olive oil, very slowly so the dressing will emulsify.
- Taste. Add salt and pepper as needed.
- Store in refrigerator