Chocolate Mousse is one of those delectable desserts that makes any occasion feel special. We put a healthy spin on this classic recipe by keeping it sugar-free and using good quality chocolate, without losing all the texture and flavour of a traditional mousse! This sugar-free chocolate mousse is rich & creamy, while light and fluffy and will satisfy even the most accomplished dessert connoisseur (if you have one in the house). Take it to the next level by adding your favourite berries for an antioxidant boost and to enhance the chocolate flavours.
Sugar-Free Chocolate Mousse
- ½ cup 100% cocoa mass or dark chocolate
- 1 ½ tsp stevia (or to taste)
- 10 egg whites
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1-2 cups of berries of choice. We used raspberries, blueberries & pomegranates.
- Heat a pot of water on medium high heat and place a medium mixing bowl on top to create a double boiler.
- Add the chocolate, cardamom and stevia to the bowl over the boiling water and allow to melt. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Separate egg whites from yolks and place the whites in a large mixing bowl.
- Use a hand beater or stand mixer to whip egg whites until stiff peaks are achieved.
- Fold egg whites into melted chocolate, one scoop at a time. Be careful not to deflate the egg whites entirely.
- Portion into 6-8 serving wine glasses or serving bowls.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Top with berries and enjoy.
Here are a few of our in process photos when we made the recipe with Chef Trevor Ross. It comes out just like the picture and the creamy, rich texture is decadent and delicious!