Sweet Potato Carbonara
Craving a classic pasta comfort food? This Sweet Potato “Pasta” Carbonara is the creamy, noodle-less option for a little less carb overload and empty calories from starch/sugar of pasta, and a delicious way to get more veggies too. Kale adds fiber, flavor and crunch, which you can switch with any other preferred dark leafy green such as spinach (for superfood status), chard or collards. This is the satisfying and different “pasta” dish that you’ll want to make a big vat of for your family and guests.
Sweet Potato Carbonara Recipe
- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and spiral sliced (you can use a spiralizer or julienne slicer)
- 3 large organic eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (or grated organic Parmesan cheese)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 strips organic turkey bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head organic kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Boil a large pot of filtered water.
- Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add turkey bacon and cook, stirring often, until browned. Add garlic and kale and cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Once the water has boiled, add sweet potatoes and cook very gently. Stir once or twice, until just starting to soften, but not completely tender (depending on the thickness 01 1/2 to 3 minutes). Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking water then drain sweet potatoes.
- Return the noodles to the pot on low heat.
- Add the reserved water, scrambled eggs, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper; gently toss until evenly coated.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil.
Original recipe available on Smart Meals.
About Dr. B.J. Hardick
Dr. B.J. Hardick is a Doctor of Chiropractic and internationally-recognized natural health author and speaker. His health journey began as a child — alternative medicine is the only medicine he has ever known. In 2009, he authored his first book, Maximized Living Nutrition Plans. In 2018, he authored his second book, Align Your Health. An energizing and passionate speaker, Dr. Hardick shares his lifestyle methods to numerous professional and public audiences every year in the United States and Canada. His teachings encompass the principles of ancestral nutrition, detoxification, functional fitness, mindfulness, and green living. Learn More