Who doesn’t love a sweet and savory combination? This delicious Sweet & Savory Salad is sure to give you the best of both worlds. Mixed greens can provide calcium, iron, potassium and B vitamins for your diet, depending on your selected mix of lettuce and other greens such as chard, romaine or oak leaf lettuce, endive, arugula, chicory or radicchio. Satisfy the taste buds of a meat lover or vegetarian (omit the turkey/salmon) with this salad it as an entree or side dish.
Sweet & Savory Salad Recipe
- 6 cups organic mixed greens
- 2 cups organic spinach
- 1 can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- 1-2 granny smith apples
- 1 cup walnuts, whole or coarsely chopped
- Organic roasted turkey or wild caught smoked salmon
- 4 handfuls blackberries (for garnish)
- 1/2 cup organic gorgonzola cheese, optional
- 1 avocado, sliced, optional
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon grated onion or shallots
- 1 small clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon spoonable stevia
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- In a non-toxic (non-teflon) skillet, make the dressing by heating the grapeseed or coconut oil over med-high heat. Add the onions (or shallots) and garlic and cook for about a minute.
- Add the blackberries and let break down (about 1-2 min). Pour in the vinegars and stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and add the stevia, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and add the olive oil slowly with blender or food processor. If you want to remove all seeds, strain through a mesh strainer.
- Place the greens on a plate. Add remaining ingredients as desired and drizzle with dressing.
- For a nice presentation, place apples, blackberries, walnuts, and turkey in sections around the edges of the greens.