Superfood Wild Salmon Casserole
Everyone has a favourite go-to casserole, and this Superfood Wild Salmon Casserole may become a new comfort meal for your whole family. Unlike other casserole recipes that use canned soup and meats, this homemade recipe offers the health benefits of omega-3s from wild salmon and naturally cholesterol-free cashews. Serve it with a side of Chili, Lime & Walnut Coleslaw Cucumber Salad, or Avocado Halves Stuffed with Tomato and Feta.
Superfood Wild Salmon Casserole Recipe
Makes 8 Servings
- 4 free-range organic eggs
- 2 cups filtered water
- 2/3 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or ¼ cup fresh chopped dill
- ¼ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 16 ounces wild Alaskan salmon, cooked and flaked
- 1 ½ cups frozen organic green beans, thawed, partially boiled and chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 8 ounces raw cheddar cheese, shredded & divided
- 1 organic red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 organic onion, chopped
- 1/8 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1 ½ cup almond flour
- 1 ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons cold, unsalted raw butter
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- PREPARING THE CRUMB TOPPING: Combine the almond flour, butter, and sea salt in a food processor and pulse until it resembles bread crumbs (or by hand, cut the butter into the flour with your finger tips until it resembles bread crumbs). Refrigerate the crumble, covered, until the filling is ready to be topped.
- Drain and rinse cashews. In blender, combine filtered water and cashews. Process until very smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over Medium-High heat, stirring occasionally. Once it starts to boil, reduce heat immediately to Low and continue stirring until thickened. Remove from heat. Set aside to cool.
- Sauté the onions and peppers until softened.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in dill, pepper and cooled thickened cashews and mix well. Add the flaked salmon, beans, half of the cheese, bell pepper, onion, and coconut flour. Stir to blend.
- Transfer mixture to a greased (with coconut oil) 9×13 inchcasserole dish. Sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and continue baking for 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
About Kari Penner
Kari Penner, BA, MA (in process) is a Wellness Coach and works at Shine Dental. She has spent most of the past decade studying Wellness, Nutrition, Toxicity and has been a professional Life Coach since 2001. In 2011, she started her Master’s of Counseling at Providence Seminary. Learn More