Turkey Bacon and Wilted Spinach Salad
With several wholesome ingredients, you’ll wonder why you don’t make this Turkey Bacon and Wilted Spinach Salad every week of the year. This classic salad is usually made with pork bacon, but this recipe takes a nutritious spin on the dish using turkey bacon. The combination of the crunch of the turkey bacon, and the sweet and sour tang of the dressing makes it a perfect adaptation of the original.
Turkey Bacon and Wilted Spinach Salad Recipe
- 1 package baby spinach (about 9-10 oz) or that much washed spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 4-5 pieces of organic turkey bacon, chopped
- ¼ cup onion, grated or minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons xylitol or stevia to taste
- Chopped hard boiled egg, mushrooms, red bell peppers (optional)
- Put the spinach (and optional vegetables if desired) in a large bowl.
- Fry the turkey bacon in the grapeseed oil until crisp. Remove, drain on paper towels and chop.
- Keep the leftover oil in the pan and cook the onion in the fat for 2-3 minutes, and then add the garlic – cook for 15-30 seconds, but DO NOT let the garlic brown.
- Add the vinegar, and scrape up the brown bits in the pan.
- Add the salt, pepper, and xylitol.
- Stir to dissolve, and pour the dressing over the spinach.
- Top with the chopped turkey bacon.
Original recipe available on the Maximized Living.
About Dr. B.J. Hardick
Dr. B.J. Hardick is a Doctor of Chiropractic and internationally-recognized natural health author and speaker. His health journey began as a child — alternative medicine is the only medicine he has ever known. In 2009, he authored his first book, Maximized Living Nutrition Plans. In 2018, he authored his second book, Align Your Health. An energizing and passionate speaker, Dr. Hardick shares his lifestyle methods to numerous professional and public audiences every year in the United States and Canada. His teachings encompass the principles of ancestral nutrition, detoxification, functional fitness, mindfulness, and green living. Learn More