https://www.drhardick.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Home-Made-Green-Apple-Applesauce.jpg 534 800 Lin Hardick https://www.drhardick.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ximg_DrHardick_logo.png.pagespeed.ic_.oNZjRcGWRC.png Lin Hardick2010-09-09 00:21:002018-09-09 14:05:47Home-Made Green Apple Applesauce
Home-Made Green Apple Applesauce
Apple Season is here! The first time you taste this, you will understand why it is worth making your own Home-Made Green Apple Applesauce. I made a double batch of this recipe for some children who were visiting our cottage on Labour Day weekend, and was reminded that, when it comes to delicious, we are all children. The adults gobbled it up!
Home-Made Green Apple Applesauce Recipe
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg (freshly grated is wonderful if you have it)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 thin lemon slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons stevia (optional, and to taste)
- Peel and core apples
- Cut apples into approximately 1 inch cubes.
- Add all ingredients to a pot, and turn heat on high. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened significantly.
- Stir frequently, making sure that the apples are not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add more water if necessary. Remove lemon slices.
- Mash with a potato masher or use a food mill for a smoother consistency.
- Taste the applesauce. If it is too tart and you want to add some sweetness, now would be the time to add a tablespoon or two of “Spoonable” brand stevia to taste.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled, if it lasts that long.
Original recipe available on GoodFood.
About Lin Hardick
Lin Hardick is a teacher, food writer and recipe developer, passionate about the health benefits, as well as the pitfalls, of the standard Western diet. "I have very definite ideas about what good food must be. Food brings people together. GOOD FOOD must look good; it must taste good; and, most importantly, it must be good for you. Enjoy." Learn More