Here’s a great stuffing option to your Maximized feast! This Grain-free Vegetable Nut Stuffing recipe contains no grains, but is packed with protein and healthy fats so is perfectly acceptable on the Advanced Plan. It can be made with or without meat as preferred. The addition of nuts and seeds give the dish a nice crunchy flavour that everyone is sure to enjoy.
Grain-free Vegetable Nut Stuffing Recipe
- ½ large sweet (vidalia) onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large bulb fennel (white part only) cut in half, then cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch-wide strips
- 4-5 stalks celery (including leaves), chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup organic chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ½ –1 cup chopped walnuts (matter of preference)
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds (soaked if possible)
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ½ –1 pound ground turkey, turkey sausage, or chicken sausage, crumbled and cooked on the stovetop (optional)
- Heat oil in a deep saute pan. Add onions, fennel and celery. Heat on medium for several minutes until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover pan. Simmer ingredients for 20 minutes. Add sage, oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Add walnuts and sunflower seeds, cover and continue to cook mixture, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and meat (if desired), cover and cook on medium for an additional 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally. If there is excess liquid, cook uncovered to reduce. If the mixture is too dry, add more chicken stock, a little bit at a time.
- Check seasonings and add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Original recipe by Smart Meals