You heard right, one of your favourite comfort foods has an Advanced Plan approved alternative! Utilizing the very versatile hearts of palm (more commonly used in salads), this decadent Advanced Plan “Mac” & Cheese recipe is quick and easy to make. You simply won’t believe how good the sauce is when poured over nontraditional noodles. Heart of palm has a crisp texture with a mild flavor similar to artichoke, which also makes it an good addition blended into dips and tossed into stir-frys or grills too. This dish is sure to become a weeknight dinner staple in your household alone or with Southern style biscuits or Maximized Grainless Rolls.
Advanced Plan “Mac” & Cheese Recipe
- 1/4 cup organic butter
- 3 tablespoons organic cream cheese
- 1/4 cup organic chicken broth
- 1 cup organic cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sea salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 jars of hearts of palm
- Additional shredded cheese (for topping)
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Stir in cream cheese and broth until completely combined and smooth.
- Reduce heat slightly and add cheddar cheese, stirring until melted.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Instead of traditional macaroni noodles, simply, cut two jars of hearts of palm into discs (or moon shapes by cutting the cylinder in half lengthways then into slices) and boil in filtered water for 5-7 minutes. Drain well and add cheese sauce.
- Put into a baking dish and top with cheese and bake at 350 degrees until bubbly.